Our Lady Help of Christians School was officially opened in 1911 by the Mercy Sisters, on the site now occupied by Samaritan College (100 Barkly Street). The school was moved to its present site alongside the Church in 1939 with Sr. Xavier as principal. The surrounds of the site was originally a quarry in the late 19th century. The original school building adjacent to the Church fronted Nicholson Street. It had open wooden verandas on both floors, which have since been glassed in. In 1975, a huge library was added. This was joined with a complete new wing in the 80s , comprising three classrooms, withdrawal rooms, multi-purpose room and two open art/cooking/activity areas on the top floor. Ground floor additions included a new administration area facing Miller Street, including general office, Reception, staffroom, first aid bay and other offices including that of the principal. This was needed as by 1984, the school had grown to a total of approximately 450 students and 14 classes. With changing demographics in the inner-suburbs, the school now has a more intimate student population of three hundred and forty five students.
Our Lady’s has a long and proud history of providing an outstanding Christian education and nurturing care to the many, many students who have passed through its doors. This is exemplified by the innumerable former students who now constitute members of our staff & parent community. Many comment how they have returned to provide the same solid foundation to their own children.