At Our Lady Help of Christians School we see Physical Education as an important part of our curriculum. A healthy, physically active lifestyle is conducive to more effective participation in all that society has to offer and greater levels of success within and beyond school. This requires students to develop the knowledge, skills and behaviours that enable them to:
- maintain good health and live a healthy lifestyle
- understand the role of physical activity in ensuring good health
- develop the skills to participate in a variety of sports activities
- be fit and healthy individuals through active participation in a range of physical activities.
Key components of our Physical Education Program
- Specialist Teaching Program: All students receive a comprehensive P.E. lesson with a specialist teacher once a week.
- Athletics Carnival: Twilight family event where students represent their house colour in a range of track and field events. Participation and place ribbons are given to each child. Students are led by the senior Sports Captains and Vice Captains for each team.
- School Swimming Program: This involves all students working under the guidance of qualified swimming instructors teaching stroke development, water safety and survival – Term 4 each year.
- Inter-school Sport Program: All students in Year 6 represent the school with friendly competition against neighbouring Catholic schools.
- Outdoor Education Program (Year 5 & Year 6 Camp): We believe a school camp experience gives children opportunity to develop and utilise skills of independence, responsibility and initiative, as well as extend themselves physically as well. Activity based camps are attended where the children are encouraged to complete activities that require gross body movement as well as working in a team, challenging oneself and overcoming physical or mental obstacles. Our camping program is also related to ourMaking Jesus Real Religious education program.
- Special Sports Days: These are regularly organised by the P.E. Specialist where existing school personal (including the Year 6 children) and outside organisations come in to offer exciting sessions for the students. In the past these have included rotating sports activities, AFL players coaching sessions, tennis & soccer lessons.